A.C.E. has partnered with the York-Benimaru Foundation for a decade to provide cross cultural exchange opportunities for Japanese youth and the people they connect with in the Seattle area. Today the people of Fukushima are suffering from a catastrophic series of events. But the news images and stories do not tell the full story of the people of the region, their history and their culture. The people of Fukushima are connected to the people of the U.S., they are our friends and their loss is our loss.
If you would like to make a donation to help those affected by the Japanese earthquake, below are several organizations collecting donations.
- American Red Cross: To donate, go to www.seattleredcross.org. Checks can be mailed to: P.O. Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340-2018. Donors also can call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Global Giving: The agency is helping other groups with emergency relief. To donate, go to globalgiving.org or text JAPAN50555 to make a $10 donation. Donations can be mailed to: Global Giving, Japan relief, 1023 First St. N.W., 12th floor, Washington, D.C. 20005.
- International Medical Corps: To donate, go to internationalmedicalcorps.org, call 1-800-481-4462 or text MED8088 to make a $10 donation. Donations also can be mailed to: Development Department, International Medical Corps, 1919 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 400, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
- AmeriCares: To donate, go to Americares.org or mail donations to: 88 Hamilton Ave., Stamford, Conn. 06902.
- Save The Children: Donate to Save the Children’s “Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund” www.savethechildren.org/japanquake or by calling 1-800-728-3843. Or text “JAPAN” to 20222 to donate $10. Donations can be mailed to Save the Children, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, CT 06880.
- SeattleJapanRelief: seattlejapanrelief.org
- Mobile giving
- Go to www.mobilegiving.org to find codes to text donations to charities, including:
- World Vision: Text “4JAPAN” or “4TSUNAMI” to 20222 to donate $10.
- Mercy Corps: Text “MERCY” to 25283 to donate $10.